PSU Vanguard

McGillivray Logo

Vintage Vanguard Home

Names and links to people with whom we're in touch and the status of our information about those whose whereabouts are somewhat unknown.

Staff and Friends Who Passed Before Us

Jim Heath

Educator, historian, Christian, friend, and most of all, family man, Jim ended his struggle with Parkinson's Disease and died quietly at home on Jan. 4. Born to Texie Hukel and Frank Heath in Clarendon, Texas in 1931, Jim spent most of his youth and early adulthood in Amarillo, Texas. He married his high school sweetheart, Carole Wilson, in 1951 and graduated from the University of New Mexico (BA '53) (MA '55). Jim joined the Air Force ROTC program at UNM and served as an officer at Tempelhof Air Force base in Berlin from 1955-57. While in Berlin, daughter, Nancy, was born. Returning to the States, Jim worked in the family furniture business in Amarillo, where daughter, Ann, was born, and then in Albuquerque.

In 1964, Jim decided to pursue his dream by earning a PhD in History from Stanford University (1967) and embarking on a career as a Professor at Portland State University. In addition to teaching, Jim served as Dean of Undergraduate Studies, Dean of Graduate Studies and Assistant Vice-President for Academic Affairs. His scholarly publications include two books and numerous journal articles but the accomplishment of which he was most proud was being a teacher and mentor to his students, many of who remained close friends throughout his life. He retired from PSU in 1993.

Jim's life was enriched considerably in 1975 when he married Judith Letcher. Jim and Judith shared a love of lively debate, travel, civil war history, Shakespeare (Ashland), gardening, movies, miniature schnauzers, Mexican food, and time spent with family and friends at their home in Lake Oswego.

Jim was also passionate about his Christian faith and served in many leadership roles at Mountain Park Church. True to his nature his greatest joy came from teaching adult Bible study classes and mentoring friends in their faith. Jim was often described as the consummate gentleman. He lived the life he preached and was most proud of his loving family.

He is survived by his wife of 37 year, Judith Letcher Heath; his daughters, Nancy Jarigese (Randy Jarigese) and Ann Heath; his granddaughters, Catie Theisen and Grace Jarigese; his brother, Dan Heath, Los Altos, Calif.; and his first wife, Carole Heath, Lake Oswego.

A Funeral will be held on Jan. 11 at 2 p.m. at Mountain Park Church, 40 McNary Parkway, Lake Oswego, OR 97035. A reception will follow. Donations in Jim's name may be made to: PSU Friends of History, The Salvation Army, or Parkinson's Resources of Oregon. Arrangements by Stehn Family Chapels Milwaukie Tribute Center.

Published in The Oregonian on January 8, 2012 (here)

Terry Toedtemeier

He had just finished talking about the place that he loved so much, to rousing, hearty applause. Terry Toedtemeier, an influential photographer, curator, historian and scientist, died Wednesday evening from heart-related complications. He was 61.


- by DK Row
The Oregonian, 12/10/2008

Even more...

Art Honeyman

Art Honeyman, 68, author, poet and most recently movie-star subject, died Monday in Seattle. He had been visiting friends.

He was portrayed by British actor Michael Sheen in the movie "Music Within." Honeyman, who was born with cerebral palsy, battled to knock down barriers which blocked the disabled from participating fully in life. He had a master's degree in literature from Portland State University, although he had to fight to get in as an undergrad.

He didn't start to write until he was in his late 20s. His 1977 children's book, "Sam and His Cart," loosely based on his childhood, was made into a movie.

Honeyman lived in the Gresham area near the MAX line, which he traveled frequently to come downtown and visit friends and colleagues at PSU.

"He touched a lot of people's lives," said Diana Borquist, a longtime friend. "He'll tell you: 'Don't feel sorry for me, feel sorry for people who can't accept me.' " Borquist said memorial services are pending.

- The Oregonian, 12/10/2008

David Yamasaki

David L. Yamasaki was born Aug. 10, 1950, in LaGrande and moved to Portland in 1953. He graduated from Franklin High School and received a bachelor's degree in Urban Studies and a master's degree in Public Administration from Portland State University. He was a ballet dancer in New York City and returned in the 1970s to Portland, where he was an officer for the Portland Police Bureau for 25 years, most recently as a detective. In 1992, he married Dawn Tranchell Jarman.

David Yamasaki died in hospice Thursday morning, November 5th, 2008, of advanced Parkinson's and complications from yet another surgery on his plumbing at age 58.

A memorial service was held at noon Wednesday, Nov. 19, 2008, in the theater of McMenamin's Kennedy School in NE Portland. With the help of the Portland Police Bureau Color Guard, Chief Rozie Sizer presented an American flag and David's Officer, Sergeant, and Detective badges to his wife and family.

His survivors include his wife, Dawn; stepdaughter, Jacqueline Tilden; stepson, Nathan McKee; and one grandchild.

Remembrances to Parkinson's Association. Arrangements by Oregon Cremation.

- Posted 10/23/2008 - DDS

Jerry Penk

Jerry Penk

PENK, Gerald Leigh January 24, 1932-June 13, 2007
(paid death notice in The Oregonian)

Beloved Child of God Jerry Penk (75) died on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 of complications related to dermatomyositis. He was full of faith and died peacefully after a lifetime of knowing Jesus Christ as Savior, Redeemer and Friend.

He was born in St. Paul Minn.; the only child of Francis Gallagher Penk and Roy G. Penk. He attended Central High School in St. Paul. He graduated from the University of Minnesota, receiving both a Bachelor of Science Degree and a Master's Degree in Journalism.

In 1953 he married the woman of his dreams, Helen Joan Pfenning.

In 1954 he joined the United States Army to serve as PFC during the Korean War. He was stationed in Germany with the 5th Loudspeaker and Leaflet Company.

While he was in Germany, Jerry was awarded the George Washington Honor Medal/Freedom's Foundation, Valley Forge, Pennsylvania and was flown back to the United States to receive the award from the Head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

After his discharge from the Army, Jerry started his first high school teaching job in St. Paul, Minn. He went on to teach Journalism at

An out of the blue job offer to teach at Portland State University prompted the family to move to Portland.

After teaching Journalism and English for 26 years, Jerry retired to their gentlemen's farm on Sauvie Island.

Jerry held many church offices including President of the Congregation for both Ascension Lutheran Church and St. John Lutheran Church. He was a member of the Metro Council, serving Multnomah County and had presided as the Worthy Master for the Sauvie Island Grange.

He was a Master Gardener and a member of several local and online gardening/plant groups and shared his love of plants with anyone who expressed an interest.

He is survived by his loving wife; daughter, Deborah Boyles (Richard); son, David Penk (Sue); daughter, Ruth McCabe-Walsh (Bob); and six grandchildren, Matthew, Risha, Ethan, Camille, Stuart and Madeline.

A private interment with Honor Guard will be held at Willamette National Cemetery. A memorial service for Jerry will be held at 1 p.m. on June 23, 2007 at St. John Lutheran Church, 4227 N. Lombard Street Portland. Please join us in remembering him.

James W. Warinner, Jr.

Jim Warinner

Jim was born August 31, 1950, in Seaside, Oregon. He died of cancer on September 12, 2006 at the age of 56.

Jim grew up in Medford, Oregon, and attended Southern Oregon College. He moved to Portland after his discharge from the military in 1971 and enrolled at Portland State University, where he met his wife Lynn.

Jim was an extremely talented writer; he wrote columns for both his college papers, the Syskiyou at SOC and the Vanguard at PSU. He later wrote for the Oregon Journal, the Oregon Business Magazine, helped create and published a local trade newspaper, and contributed to several other publications. His letters to friends and relatives were never just mere correspondence.

His career focus and love was radio news. He was news director for KUIK in Hillsboro and KOWL in Lake Tahoe. He was an editor and producer for KXL and The Fan in Portland.

Jim is remembered for his most unique sense of humor and his life-long passion for baseball and the unfortunate Cleveland Indians.

Survivors include his wife, Lynn Portwood; daughter Jamie; sisters Mary and Sharon; brother Mark; and extended family member Suzanne Noel. Jim's brother, Joe, preceeded him in death in February, 2006. Jim will be missed by all including Baby and Mamma kitties and frog Scrappy.

A celebration of Jim's life was held September 24, 2006, (Jim and Lynn's 24th Wedding anniversary) at the Subud Center. Remembrances should be made to Providence Portland Hospice.

That's history, with a standing O

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Prof Barney Burke

Everybody on campus knew big, burly Barney Burke. After teaching almost 40 years at Portland State University, he couldn't go anywhere without a current or former student call after him, "Dr. Burke! Dr. Burke!"

The history professor had a following. Although he was known as a tough grader, his classes were overenrolled and seminars packed. His students found him refreshingly free of academic cant, a W.C. Fields with a Boston accent and a big dose of Irish-American sarcasm.

Barney brought a working-class atmosphere to academia: His father was a prize fighter and barkeeper, his mother worked in the Massachusetts textile mills. He served as a sailor in World War II and later drove a cab to get through college on the G.I. Bill. He was a fan of anchovy pizza, sausage and beer, poker and billiards, horse racing and bulldogs. The 6-foot-2 professor even looked like a bulldog, and adored his white bulldog, Reggie.

From him, students learned that history is something you have to care about, and they cheered him at the end of a term. Two students who met in one of his classes named their baby "Burke" after him.

However, he was a professor, not a friend. Barney wore suits and ties to class and conveyed a sense of propriety -- out of respect for his students, he said.

He did not hold with mush-mouth theorizing, unsupported opinions or revisionist history.

"Where did you get your information?" he would bark. "Check your facts before you speak. Always check your sources, and document, document, document."

If a student argued with him, he would answer, "Write me a paper." He might still disagree, but he'd judge the paper on its scholarly merits.

His No. 1 pet peeve was the 1960s, which he viewed as overly indulgent (a mention of Bob Dylan would set his teeth on edge). Another was McDonald's restaurants. He never set foot in one.

Barney came to PSU in 1967 and taught three generations of master's students. Two of his children and three of his grandchildren took his classes, graded by an assistant.

He was offered deanships but was most comfortable at the lectern, teaching; a specialist in American diplomatic history, he published only one major book.

He retired in 1993 but still taught one course a term, including Survey of U.S. History. Even after he retired, he still got an award for best professor.

He knew if he quit teaching, it would be the end of him. On Thursday, June 1, he taught his regular class, World War II and the Atomic Bomb. He fell ill and had to leave during the break, after receiving a standing ovation. He died a few days later, June 7, 2006, at 81.

Barney grew up an only child in Worcester ("Wuh-sta"), Mass., and dreamed of being a jockey. He hung out at the racetrack, riding horses for rich people. But he ended up being 6 feet 2.

In 1942, at 17, he went into the Navy -- he didn't even shave yet -- and served as a signalman on the USS Cowpens, an aircraft carrier.

He met his future wife, Genevieve "Chris" Christie, on a blind date. She was an Oregon-born shortwave radio operator working at naval headquarters in San Francisco. She signaled the ships at sea, including his. They wrote letters for nine months and married three days later in 1945.

They raised five children. It took him years to get all three degrees in history at the University of Washington, working as a taxicab driver, at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, and doing some teaching.

He took a job at PSU in 1967 because he believed PSU was an up-and-coming university and he wanted to be a part of it. He remained forever grateful that he had a position there.

The family lived in Northwest Portland for 23 years. A son, Bernard, died in 1975 at age 17 in an accident. The couple went on sabbatical for four months to work through their grief.

They moved to Tigard, and Barney survived two major cancers, continuing to teach.

He became department chairman in 1982 and retired from full-time teaching in 1993 to save jobs of junior faculty.

Chris died after they were married 57 years, and Barney moved to an apartment downtown, walking to his classes in Cramer Hall.

He met Ann walking their dogs (his bulldog, her beagle) in the South Park Blocks, and they married in 2004. She sat in on all of his courses, too, and shared his love of the racetrack.

Barney had a reserved table at Portland Meadows. He was not much of a gambler but he loved to inhale the smells of the paddock and watch the horses. "Look at them prance!" he'd bellow. The extra weight he carried, he joked, is "me plus a jockey."

After horseracing and bulldogs, PSU's athletes never had a more loyal follower than Barney Burke.

He loved both men's and women's teams -- basketball and football and volleyball -- attended most home games, and thought nothing of getting in his car for road games, too.

He was an informal adviser to the entire football team for years. He lined up struggling students and went over and over their writing with them. "Explain yourself. Back it up with history!"

Pilfered from Amy Martinez Starke

Actor Cork Hubbert Dies Suddenly in Venice, Calif.

Cork Hubbert

Carl "Cork" Hubbert had roles as elves or midgets in such films as "Legend", "Under the Rainbow" and "The Ballad of the Sad Café", who also appeared in numerous TV shows in the past few years including "Sabrina, the Teenage Witch", "Charmed", "ER", "The Drew Carey Show" and the up and coming Comedy Central movie "Knee High P.I.", died Sept. 28 in Venice, CA of diabetes complications at age 51.

Margie Boulé dedicated her Sunday, Oct. 12, 2003, The Oregonian column to a remembrance of Cork's life. She wrote, "Cork's friends are throwing a party to celebrate his life Monday evening [Oct. 13, 2003] at 7:30 at Berbati's. 'Anyone who knew him is welcome,' says Mike [Burke]."

Marcia Pry

The Star, July 2001--MARCIA PRY, former publisher of The Hollywood Star and six other community papers and former member of the Hollywood Boosters, died of congestive heart failure May 29, 2001. She was 59.

ry was born in San Francisco and taught high school journalism in Stockton before moving to Portland and marrying Tom Pry in 1966. She continued teaching for the next few years.

In 1974 the couple began what came to be Pry Publications, purchasing a series of community-related papers that had fallen on hard times and were in danger of closing. They started with the Sellwood Bee and later added the Hollywood News (a precursor of the Hollywood Star), Northwest Neighbor and St. Johns Review, still later founding the Mid-County Memo, Portland Family Calendar and the short-lived East

Bank Focus, plus a printing press and graphics shop. Then as now, the papers provided an outlet for news - from local school and social organization announcements to coverage of community issues - that would otherwise have gone unreported. Len Lanfranco, former president of the Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association, says that Pry used to boast of being "the only democrat publisher in Oregon."

Marcia Pry's community involvement wasn't limited to the papers. She was a leader in, among others, the Hollywood and St. Johns Boosters, Nob Hill Business Association and Moreland Commercial Club. She took the annual community awards concept that she inherited from the Northwest Neighbor and brought it to Hollywood and other communities. Longtime Hollywood Booster Helen Stoll remembers her as "a very intelligent lady who was outstanding in public relations. She had a special knack for getting along with people. She was a very community-oriented person with a sense of obligation not only to her own business, but to make worthwhile contributions. She had a broad love of people, and it showed."

She also had a seemingly inexhaustible appetite for volunteer activity and played a leading role in Friends of the Library, Friends of Trees and the Our House of Portland AIDS hospice. One friend says, "We sometimes thought that Marcia created organizations just so that she could be part of them." She would personally take on tasks such as wrapping Christmas presents for Our House residents and cooking for functions, making each group feel they were a special interest of hers. A member of one such charity remembers, "We can get someone else to cook for us, but there'll never be another Marcia."

At its height, the Pry "empire," as the couple referred to it, employed 55 people. One Pry employee, Peggy Couquett, recalls, "Marcia thought of all of us as her children," and that she was particularly adept at being a mentor. Another former worker, Chris Mars, said work at the plant "enabled me to achieve a great deal of personal growth. It led to opportunities that I don't think I could have gotten on my own." Indeed, she says, Pry Publications was a career "stepping stone" for many people.

The Prys gave job opportunities to a number of people in recovery from alcohol or drug abuse. The practice worked well for years, but backfired when there was a fatal accident at the plant involving a worker later found to have drugs in his system.

The Prys sold their business to Mike Roeper in 1994. It dissolved in bankruptcy a few years later, but not before Roeper sold the newspapers to the people then running them, including Mary DeHart of the Star.

"As far as the business associations were concerned," says DeHart, "Marcia was well-known and respected. She made a point to go to all the business meetings. She was the reason why this paper continued after so many years. I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for Marcia and Tom. I do take my hat off to her."

Reprinted with permission

Kay Corbett

From The Oregonian, 2/2/01, via - Katherine C. "Kay" Corbett, who zealously carried on the prominent Corbett family tradition of community service, died Monday at age 84.

Mrs. Corbett was an administrator for Portland State University for 23 years and served on more than 40 major civic, cultural and philanthropic boards.

She married into a family whose Oregon history was deep in public service and politics. Her husband was Henry Ladd Corbett Jr., whose father was acting governor of Oregon twice and president of the Oregon Senate in 1935 and whose great-grandfather, Henry W. Corbett, was a prominent Oregon businessman and U.S. senator from Oregon in the 1870s. Her husband's brother, Alfred H. Corbett, served 12 years in the Oregon Senate and was later a federal adviser on legal services to the poor. Mrs. Corbett's death is the third in the family in the past five months: Her husband died Oct. 6, and Alfred H. Corbett died Nov. 16.

Mrs. Corbett was born May 24, 1916, in Charleston, S.C. Her maiden name was Coney. She attended the University of South Carolina before her family moved to Portland, then attended St. Helens Hall Junior College and graduated Phi Beta Kappa from the University of Oregon. In 1940, she married Henry Corbett.

For the first 24 years of her married life, she stayed home to raise her four children. "But she was never home," her daughter Gretchen said, "because she was always at board meetings."

Her involvement included almost every aspect of the city's cultural and civic life. Among the boards she served on were the Oregon Symphony, Young Audiences, Portland Art Museum, Pacific Northwest Ballet, Northwest Film Society, Emanuel Hospital Foundation, Parry Center, University of Oregon Foundation, League of Women Voters and World Affairs Council. She was often president or chairwoman of the boards. She was appointed to the Governor's Committee on the Arts, the Governor's Committee on Children and Youth, the Metropolitan Arts Commission and the Oregon Arts Commission.

She was a member of First Unitarian Church and was its moderator. In 1964, she joined the administration of what was then Portland State College. She worked in different positions for Portland State, including as student activities director, assistant to the president, events coordinator and community relations director.

"She did so many things and influenced so many students and so many programs that it's hard to give her credit," said Joseph Blumel, former university president. "Kay had a deep impact on all the arts programs and was instrumental in almost every aspect of the arts at the university."

He said that her involvement was not only professional. "She supported many students financially as well as many activities."

Among her accomplishments was the establishment of the Littman Gallery at the university. She brought in speakers for the university and organized its commencements, raised money and organized events. She retired in the late 1980s.

Mrs. Corbett's four children also became involved in the arts and their communities. Her son Harry and daughter Glen served in the Peace Corps. Her son Richard C. is head of the children's book department of Powell's Books. And her daughter Gretchen H., a television and stage actress, is artistic director of The Haven Project, a Portland theater program for at-risk children.

In addition to her children, Mrs. Corbett is survived by her brothers, Rembert Coney and Richard Coney; sisters, Glen Miller and Frances Coney; seven grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

A memorial service is pending. The family suggests remembrances to The Haven Project.

Henry Ladd Corbett

A memorial service was at 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 7, 2000, in First Unitarian Church for Henry Ladd Corbett, who died Oct. 1 at age 88. Mr. Corbett was born Aug. 2, 1912, in Portland, where he lived all his life. He graduated from Lincoln High School and Whitman College. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Navy. A businessman and real estate investor, he worked for Norris, Beggs ∓ Simpson and owned Corbett Electronics and Corbett Investments, retiring in the late 1970s. He was the son of Henry L. Corbett, twice acting governor of Oregon and president of the Oregon Senate in 1935, and great-grandson of Henry W. Corbett, a prominent early Oregon merchant and U.S. senator from Oregon in the 1870s.

Mr. Corbett was a member of the church. In 1940, he married Katherine "Kay" Coney.

Survivors include his wife; daughters, Glen and Gretchen; sons, Harry and Richard; brother, Alfred H; sister, Rosina Morgan; and seven grandchildren.

Interment was in River View Cemetery.

Kevin Mulligan

Business Journal obituary

From The Oregonian via - One of the Portland area's best-known corporate spokesmen, Kevin Mulligan of AT∓T Broadband Services, has died of a heart attack.

Mulligan, who was 50, died Friday, Oct. 6, 2000, after being stricken at home.

As Northwest regional communications director for AT∓T Broadband, Mulligan was the public face for the company that provides cable television -- and in some areas, Internet and local telephone services -- to Portland, Salem and Vancouver, Wash. He also was in charge of community affairs for the company, representing AT∓T before a variety of groups.

Mulligan was an outspoken businessman known for his forthright manner. "What he said was his word," said Geoff Knapp, who worked for Mulligan. "He was just a remarkable guy."

Mulligan took the regional communications job in April 1999 after working as vice president and general manager of Pacific Sports Network, a Los Angeles-based joint venture of Viacom and TCI that offered television sports to 1.8 million cable customers. He worked in media, including television, more than 20 years.

In 1992, his stepson, Jim Stolpa, and Stolpa's wife, Jennifer, and their infant son, Clayton, disappeared in a blizzard in California's Sierra Madre Mountains. Mulligan organized an informal army of volunteers, media and rescue personnel to find the stranded and lost threesome. The story of their survival and rescue became a national sensation.

Mulligan later was able to sell their story in a made-for-television-movie deal, reported to be in excess of $500,000. At the time, the sum was believed to be the most ever paid for TV rights to a personal story, and it became a subject satirized in the "Doonesbury" comic strip.

Since returning to Portland, Mulligan lived in the same Grant Park neighborhood where he grew up.

Mulligan was born Oct. 16, 1949, in Elizabeth, N.J. After graduating from Grant High School, he attended Portland State University. In 1970, he was a leader of the student strike at PSU, which was part of a national protest organized after students were killed at Kent State University in Ohio. He married Muriel Erickson in 1986.

Outside of his role at AT∓T, Mulligan was active in the Beaumont Middle School site committee and the Grant Park Neighborhood Association, and he served on the board of the Portland School Foundation.

Survivors include his wife; daughter, Megan; stepsons, Todd Stolpa and Jim Stolpa; parents, Norman and Dolores Curry; sister, Karen Johnson; stepbrothers, Paul Curry and Kevin Curry; and two grandchildren.

A viewing was held from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 14, at Zeller Chapel of the Roses with a memorial service immediately following at Central Lutheran Church.

A scholarship fund has been established for Megan Mulligan, 11. Contributions can be made to The Mulligan Family Trust, 888 S.W. Fifth Ave., Suite 850, Portland OR 97204-2054.

Kevin Mulligan remembered

Kevin ∓ I and Tony Barsotti founded the PSU YIPPIES in the fall of 1969 just as the school year began. We and several others lived in the then thriving bohemian neighborhood around SW 16th ∓ Montgomery and we spent countless hours dreaming up new and creative ways to protest the war in Vietnam as students of Portland State and citizens of the City of Portland.

We organized countless actions on campus, as well as marches through town which had up to 10,000 people participating. We almost paralyzed Portland during the summer of 1970 by announcing a "festival of life" called The People's Army Jamboree to protest the National American Legion Convention, which had planned a march of their own through town to demand "Victory in Vietnam", as well as a keynote speech by none other than Richard Nixon (the dead at Kent State were barely cold in their graves and the US invasion troops were still in Cambodia!).

Although we operated as a group, with no one member supposed to be more important than any other, we all recognized that Kevin had the true face of a young activist, even looking a bit like traditional paintings of Christ, and with the charismatic voice, and passion to back it up, he was the perfect image of us for the evening TV news. Thus, Kevin always served the cause as the "official spokesman" and became a favorite of the local Portland media. In a sense, he became the embodiment of the youthful rebellion of the 1960's in Portland and will always be remembered as the face on national TV representing our stand here during the great American Legion summer protests.

If you are interested in the best historical accounts of Kevin then, and of that era, you should contact Dr. Dory Hylton, who wrote her doctorate thesis in history on the times I talked about above. She is currently writing a book about the history of radical politics and antiwar protests in Portland. Her phone # in Vancouver, WA. is 360-992-0759.

Doug Weiskopf
Cincinnati, OH
513-771-4662  -  Please feel free to call me.

Leslie Haines remembered

Leslie Haines, who worked on the VG in 1967-68 during my editorship, died of ovarian cancer on Feb. 1. She was married to philosophy professor Byron Haines. Leslie, who was 61 at the time of her death, was my longest and best friend and had distinguished careers in a number of fields, including journalism. She was the first female editor of the University of Maine student newspaper and went on to The Seattle Times and The Oregonian, where she was a copy editor and then regular contributor to NW Magazine.

I was in Portland for Leslie's memorial service and have depleted the travel kitty. So, much as I'd love to be there with my partner and my daughter, who is almost 5, I won't be able to attend the reunion.

Huntly Collins
The Philadelphia Inquirer